Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Two Significant Deaths Recently


Jerry Falwell died yesterday.
Let's get a review of what the minister had to say...

“AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”
"It appears that America's anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men's movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening."
"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being."
After the September 11 attacks Falwell said, “I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen."
“Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions”
“[Homosexuals are] brute beasts...part of a vile and satanic system [that] will be utterly annihilated, and there will be a celebration in heaven...

I don't know...my Jesus is a tolerant, loving God who has room for all in his kingdom. Jesus hung around with the lepers and threw the money changers out of the temple. I wish no ill will on any man or his family. I will say this for Mr. Falwell. He is a man who stuck by his principles and never wavered in what he believed. I admire him for that. As a Christian man, my views are different than his. I pray for his family for the swift passage of time.


Wally Schirra passed last week at the age of 84. He, John Glenn, Gordon Cooper, Gus Grissom and the rest of the astronauts were heroes in my book. I know that when the Gemini or Apollo flights would blast off and there would be news coverage about a spacewalk or some other important dramatic devolpment, I'd skip school claiming illness. My mom knew. He was, to me, a true man, daring and brave. Where are those guys anymore? Will they manifest themselves in guys like my son who is got a degree in Astronomical Engineering? Will we ever go back to the moon? Will any of those people who posses bravery and guts EVER run for President? We could sure use them. Mr. Schirra and his co horts gave me many memories and thrills. When I head to the other side, I want to know what's out there. Maybe Mr. Schirra knows already. Godspeed Mr. Schirra.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking