Saturday, May 19, 2007

As I Get Older...



...I understand why my mother drank. It's hard letting go of your kids and getting older. As I am in South Bend, I am so proud of my son for his accomplishments, but then again I am sad for the fact that while I was stumbling through life, the torch has been passed to the next generation. While I wasn't looking, the boy has become a man. Sitting through the public commission ceremony today, it became clear to me why my mom lost her will to live. What is left after the kids leave? What role do we take and how long do we have left? It is truly amazing that parents have dealt with this since the beginning of time. Mixed emotions, I have a ton. So proud, so happy, so sad. My mother drank herself to death. I know I won't go that way but it makes you wonder what purpose does my life have now? I hope to find it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Randy,

I am a bit late in commenting, mostly because I never hear from you, so am not sure if you read my comments. :)
Empty nest, wow, when my son who is now 26 moved away, a whole 45 minutes away to Tampa to go to college, I cried, he never "got it", he was not far from home, but a part of me was leaving. Next it was my oldest daughter, again I cried, even though she was only 15 minutes away. Recently my 18 year old daughter moved into her own home with her fiance and their daughter, yep I cried again, she lives just 5 minutes from me. I have one daughter left at home, and I plan to treasure each and every moment with her. It is not easy watching our kids turn into adults and start their own families and begin new lives.
I suppose it is time for us to start new lives and enjoy what time we do have left.

Take care,
Beth

Blog Archive

Web Tracking