Friday, December 07, 2007

The Two Least Effective Ads Using Classic Rock Songs

I will restate something I posted in another post. I absolutely, positively and without question despise the new Dr. Pepper ad campaign with the guy that scores a touchdown and then does the dance with "Karn Evil Number 9" in the background. Number one, I hate touchdown dances and number two, what the hell does the song have to do with Dr. Pepper? I turn the channel every time it comes on. Now, on the other hand, I like the Diet Dr. Pepper spot with Tom Jones. It is very creative and fun, comparing Diet Dr. Pepper with donuts and pie and such. Very nice.
Dr. Pepper should have MORE ads like the one above, that will make me buy their stuff. She's very nice, too. Hubba!

Pizza Hut has ruined one of my all time favorite songs. Let me just say that I have always liked the Bee Gees. Other than "Staying Alive", I have always enjoyed their very tight harmonies. "How Deep Is Your Love" is my favorite Bee Gees song. Has been since the first time I heard it. It is now a pizza commercial. I can't stand it. Now, when kids think of what was a great song, they will think of pizza...or Dr. Pepper. It is truly a shame that the people I admired and looked up to have sold out to the highest bidder. Greg Lake, Barry Gibb, Pete Townshend, shame on you. I guess you really need the money, huh? Advice...hire a good accountant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling it has more to do with greed than needing money. Just my opinion ... However, something to consider - a lot of kids may have never heard some of these songs until they were played on tv. Could create another generation of fans ...

bgibbfan1968 said...

I know these commercials grow new generations of fans. I have talked to many who have discovered these great new groups. This gives me a chance to share my love of the Brothers Gibb and to pass on what information I have about them.

Brian Holland said...

As for dancing to Emerson Lake & Palmer, I'm reminded of the words of my man Lemmy from Motorhead when he cautions his own audiences, "Don't dance to this, you'll f--- your legs up!"

Blog Archive

Web Tracking