Friday, September 08, 2006

Guitar Solos

How about some fun, huh? Seems it's been awhile. I was talking to a friend of mine and he brought us the fact that somewhere the Brits decided that the best guitar solo ever was David Gilmour's nasty, filthy solo in "Comfortably Numb" I couldn't argue, but then it got me thinking hmmmmm.....

My top twenty guitar solos* (in no particular order)....

"Still Got The Blues" by Gary Moore. This guys never got the respect he deserves. A monster guitar player that fronted Thin Lizzy for awhile and released "Still Got The Blues" in 1991. It was my favorite release that year.

"Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry. Could this have been the first guitar solo ever? This is the foundation and the blueprint for a rock song. Chuck ruled.

"Couldn't Stand The Weather" by Stevie Ray Vaughn. He was sloppy but very few played with the passion and downright fervor than this guy. Playing this song in a band was a real thrill for me, Steve Pecaro's version pales only slightly.

"Since I've Been Loving You" by Jimmy Page. I could have included "Stairway To Heaven" but that's too easy. This is Jimmy at his darkest, bluesiest and his best work (I think).

"Then Came The Last Days Of May" by Buck Dharma (Blue Oyster Cult). This solo is just tasty and one of my all time favorites. Reminds me of high school and tokin in my late cousin's bedroom. (Sorry, Jess)

"Aqualung" by Martin Barre. Ian Anderson once said that this was the angriest piece of noise he had ever been a part of. This solo ranks with the best of all time. The high point of this legendary band.

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by Eric Clapton (Beatles). Ever heard a guitar cry? Was Eric ever better than this? George knew what he was doing when he asked Eric to do this majestic piece of work.

"Kid Charlemagne" by Larry Carlton (Steely Dan). I could have picked "My Old School" or "Reeling In The Years" but as far as tasty, sweet and to the point, this solo by one of my favorite guitar players is as close to perfect as you can get.

"Jessica" By Dickey Betts (Allman Brothers).Is there such a thing as a happy solo? This song makes me smile whenever I hear it. Dickey may have done better solos ("Blue Sky") but I really like the feel of this.

"Comfortably Numb" by David Gilmour (Pink Floyd). Alan Parsons kind of ruined this for me when he told me it was different pieces put together but the whole finished product just kicks ass.

"Highway Star" by Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple). How many times have I played this on my air guitar and nailed it? Thousands. This was the best band in the world at this time.

"Can't You Hear Me Knockin'?" by Keith Richards (Rolling Stones) Keith was never higher...er, I mean better than this album. Sloppy, funky and right on.

"Sultans of Swing" by Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits). Still, to this day, I get goosebumps hearing this workout. The solo was way too short, this song should be two minutes longer.

"Savannah Woman" by Tommy Bolin. Another one that's way too short. He's just getting warmed up on this before the song fades out. Kind of a funky, flamenco flavor that reminds me of a hot Latino woman. Underrated and overlooked guitar player.

"Eruption" by Eddie Van Halen. 'nuff said.

"Hotel California" by Joe Walsh and Don Felder (The Eagles). More of a duet than a solo, but a classic song and it wouldn't have the power without this. Joe was a great addition to this band.

"Intro/Sweet Jane" by Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner (Lou Reed).Maybe one of the best live recordings ever. Another great duet. At this time, Lou Reed was a great live act and his band was a top notch, first rate outfit.

"All Along The Watchtower" Dave Mason and Jimi Hendrix. OK, I cheated. Dave Mason played acoustic guitar on the original and his version just smokes. Jimi's version was very understated and showed he had polish when he wanted to.

"Europa" by Carlos Santana. A six minute solo. After this song, you just want to say..."oh baby"

"Cause We've Ended As Lovers" by Jeff Beck. This makes me cry. What style and grace by one of the greatest players ever. "Blow by Blow" contains a ton of these great stylish solos.

"Summertime" by Dave Edmunds (Love Sculpture). Before Dave was a pop artist, he played wicked blues. Gershwin is still spinning in his grave.

Honorable mention "Goodbye To Love" by the Carpenters (shaddup!) Joey Peluso cooks on this. "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent, "Too Rolling Stoned" by Robin Trower, "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson, "The Thrill Is Gone" B. B. King, "Like A Hurricane", Neil Young, "Wire", U2. By popular demand, let's add these, too..."War Pigs", Toni Iommi (Black Sabbath), "Black Napkins" by Frank Zappa and "Still In Love With You" Brian Gorham (Thin Lizzy)
* Only one solo by a particular artist allowed, no jazz, hey, it's my list, make your own...

4 comments:

Max said...

I actually like Martin Barre's solo on Farm On The Freeway from Tull's Crest Of A Knave release. It was so Knopfleresqe that you had to wonder who was actually playing it.

Everything that Stevie Ray played was fantastic. I need to pick up all those releases on CD one of these days. I have long since lost the vinyl editions.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your surgery...had forgotten all about the Blue Oyster Cult song...one of my all time favorites.

Anonymous said...

Lets form a street gang of disgruntled radio people , we could
wear our old t-shirts and show up
at current events to hassle todays
underpaid radio people . there's alot more to this idea I just dont
have the time to explore it all !
why do people in radio suddenly
start treating co-workers like crap
after they've been there about 5 yrs ? it always happens . good luck at the hospital , I bet I hate
them more than you....I'm walking on a broken leg right now , seriously . They wouldnt take me for an xray cause I havent been to the doc in 5 years....translation: we havent made any money off your insurance , please come in for a
dozen expensive useless tests AND
THEN we'll look at your leg . my
answer : suck it bitch doctors !
oh guitar solos ? one of the best is "watermelon in easter hay"
by Zappa , that song makes me cry.
Santana on AINT GOT NOBODY too,
god theres just too many

Melted Plastic said...

Randy,

List is missing something from Tony Iommi. You can pick but he should be on your list. I would pick Heaven & Hell to add to the list.

Coop

Blog Archive

Web Tracking