Monday, January 02, 2006

Goodbye Dick and thanks


When I lived in KC for about a year and a half, I got to reacquaint myself with my friend Lisa, who works for the Chiefs. Lisa and I have been friends for years and she is one of the sweetest people I know. One night (knowing the huge Chiefs fan I am), she asked me to go to "Dick's party". Apparently, once a year, Dick Vermeil throws a party for his coaches and the people in the office. Dick also owns a vineyard and makes his own wine. After a wonderful meal and a lot of wine, I was sitting at a table, thinkin how surreal it was that I was eating and drinking with Gunter Cunningham, Al Saunders and feeling that I really didn't belong there. At that time, Carol Vermeil sat down next to me and said, "so, Randy, what's your story?". I reminded her that I had interviewed her once when I was at the Rock in St. Louis during the championship season. She remembered that the studios were downtown and it was a pleasant experience. We chatted for a bit, I told her how grateful St. Louis was for guys like her husband and Kurt Warner and the whole championship season. About ten minutes after that, Dick Vermeil walks over, sits down, puts his arm around me and says, "Randy, Carol and I are SO pleased you are here with us. Thanks so much for coming, any friend of Lisa's is great in our book, we are so happy you are here, can I get you anything?" Wha? Dick friggin Vermeil is asking me if he can get anything for me? Wha? I said, thanks Dick, you have given me so much. Then he hugged me. First class in every way.
Although I loved seeing you like this...

I always remember this...

Thanks Dick for everything you gave the state of Missouri. Enjoy your retirement.

1 comment:

Dave Morris said...

Here, here. A tiny part of me wanted to hear that Dick was "retiring" from the Chiefs to come back and be HC of the Rams again. But he deserves to take it easy and get rid of the stress.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking