Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hot, Muggy Saturday Morning Stuff

The last live (for me) Route 66 is on tonight. No big deals, no goodbyes and hopefully a well executed show. I will miss doing it live but I will be happy to retain my Saturday nights to pillage and plunder the St. Louis bar scene (?) I have offered to do it in Bloomington on my time and ship it to the station each week. I know a couple of qualified cats are lobbying for the gig. I really couldn't argue with either one.

Well, St. Louis is in a quick race to become Wichita. I have nothing against Wichita, but it ain't St. Louis. In the past ten years, we have lost McDonnell Douglas, Purina, May Company, TWA, A.G. Edwards and now Anhueser Busch. We are selling the nation piece by piece, company by company to foreign investors. I will hate to see what our country will be like in 20 years. As a friend of mine said last week.."in 15 years, you'll either shop at WalMart or Home Depot, so how is beer any different?" Good point. And the Walmarts and Home Depots will be owned by the Chinese.

I read in the newspaper the other day that we should feel sorry for Mark Mulder. Mark is a high quality pitcher that just about the time he got to St. Louis...he blew out his arm. He tried to pitch the other night, felt something pop and that was it. He has had a number of shoulder surgeries and is probably done. Mark comes from a very wealthy family is the east and is making about 9 million dollars for basically, doing nothing. Hard to feel sorry for that. Yeah, he probably isn't going to pitch again, but if he gives back the 15 or so million dollars that the Cardinals have paid him since he got hurt, then yeah, I'll feel sorry for him. But, the chance of that happening is about the same as me being pope. I feel bad for the guy, not sorry for him.

The last week at KMOX is next week. I still have lots of work to do. I think I am leaving on good terms, all seem to be genuinely happy for me. I hope so, it is NEVER a good thing to burn bridges in this business.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking