Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Tough Week

For all of us in Kirkwood, it has been a brutal, grueling week. we laid to rest the last of the six today and now begins the chore of healing. Apparently we have a way to go, I hope we get there, soon. Now comes word of five more killed by another gun toting madman.When I was a junior in high school, my first "road trip" was to Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. I went on behalf of my high school newspaper. We won three of four awards and I won one for my writing about (surprize) music. I remember going there and driving home with my collection of tunes. The open road with my favorite music. In was in the spring, April if I can recollect. I can recall actually rolling the window down with out getting in trouble from my dad. Freedom. I was proud of the fact that I got pretty close to Chicago, accepted the awards and drove home; by myself and I didn't get lost. I remember being very impressed with college life even more so after I found they had a bowling alley in the student center. Five sets of parents who sent their kids there will never be the same. Another set will wonder how their son could do something like this. How is this happening? Is it the violent video game culture coming home to roost? Is it the easy access to guns? I know that my emotions are raw. How do we stop this? Can we?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to bum you out further, but I just read that our old radio friend from KSTT, Jay Gregory, passed away this week. I'm bummed.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking