Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Can't Sleep



Congrats to a fine basketball team in Vanderbilt. There is a party at Dr. Sardonicus' crib. BYOB. Tennessee has been involved with two of the most intense performances in the last three days that I have ever seen. How cool that basketball has finally arrived in Tennessee. Memphis, Vandy and UT should all be in the top ten next week. That reminds me of when I lived in KC (1980 I think ) that Mizzou was ranked number one and KU was second. If I am not mistaken, I think they were both unbeaten. I was in the Vanderbilt gym last year when they lost to Furman. That's right Furman. Now, they beat the number one team in the country. Nice work, great game, high drama.

I was talking to our sports guy Kevin Wheeler about the lack of free throw shooting in college basket ball. He said that the percentages haven't changed in the past forty years. We notice it now because we see more games. I can remember when I was a kid how thrilled I was to see UCLA play Houston featuring Elvin Hayes locking up with Lew Alcindor from the Houstin Astrodome.

There might have been one more game on that week, maybe in Saturday. but where I came from, I got a lot of Colorado basketball and I'm not sure why, living in southern Missouri. The coach had the wierdest name: Sox Walseth.

Longtime head basketball coach at the University of Colorado, who during his tenure as men's coach from 1956 to 1976, won 261 games, the most in school history, who came out of retirement in 1980 to coach the women's team until 1983 (he is believed to be the only person ever to coach the men's and women's basketball teams at the same NCAA school) , and for whom the basketball floor at the university's Coors Events/Conference Center is named, died Jan. 28 of cancer at his home in Boulder, Colorado at the age of 77. (uh...261 wins divided by 20 means he won roughly 13 games a year...not good)

When I get some time, I'll look up his claim. Although, I am sure he knows way more about this than I do.

I think tonight was game... set... match for Obama. I think this may be our next president.

I fear for his safety.

1 comment:

Brian Holland said...

I love watching games on TV from that funky Vanderbilt arena with the benches on the ends of the court. It looks like a classic old-school college gym along the lines of KU's Allen Fieldhouse and Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium. Sure beats these sterile new places like Kansas State's Bramlage Coliseum and that new arena Maryland replaced Cole Field House with.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking