Sunday, August 26, 2007

Van Halen



Chronicle Books will soon publish Van Halen: a Visual History to coincide with the band's reunion tour. I don't think I can give up my hard earned $125 to see a shell of a band. A fifteen year old bass player? Replacing Micheal Anthony? Uhhhh..I don't think so. Here's to greater days when these guys absolutely ruled. Here's my favorite DLR interview ever, from the post-punk fanzine WET: Link It was a dueling interview layout, DLR vs. Johnny Rotten. DLR won. Did you know he once trained to be a paramedic?
With that in mind, my top ten favorite Van Halen songs...

1. "Meanstreets"(Fair Warning 1981)-fuggin muhfuggin mafugga. This was as good as it ever got with these guys. Damn, what if?
2. "Mine all Mine"(OU812 1987) Full court no holds barred race to the end of the song. Great keyboard work here. Sammy kicks ass.
3. "Dreams"(5150 1986) Yeah I know, a commercial sell out, so what? The summer of 1986 was much nicer with this song on the air.
4. "Little Guitars"(Diver Down 1982) Oh, Eddie, you are so smooth, man you whipped out that solo so slick. This may have been your best work.
5. "Drop Dead Legs"(1984-1984) Nasty stuff for a guy who needed to show some chops.
6. "Feel Your Love Tonight"(Van Halen 1978)One of my favorite early songs. These guys had balls and they knew it.
7. "Light Up The Sky"(Van Halen II-1979)This is what they opened with the first time I saw them opening for Journey in 1978. Wow.
8. "Feels So Good" (OU812 1987)Great song, great lyrics, great singing.
9. "Love Walks In" (5150 1986) Nothing more than great memories with a really nice lady. Sensory addition here.
10."Can't Stop Lovin You"(Balance-1998)The only Van Halen love song acceptable

1 comment:

dr sardonicus said...

What, no "Unchained"? No "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"? No "And The Cradle Will Rock"?

Well, since I'm on the blogroll now, might as well come out of hiding. I'm a St. Louis transplant who's lived in Nashville the last 14 years. I turned on 97.1 here not long after they made the format switch, and thought I heard a familiar voice. I was glad to find out it was Randy Raley from back in the day at KSHE. I've been lurking around here since I heard you mention the blog on the air one day. Too bad you didn't stay in Nashville long, but a position at KMOX is certainly a plum job for any radio veteran. Reading your blog is as good as hearing you on the air, though, and you've brought back a lot of good memories for me from the golden age of classic rock.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking