Saturday, April 14, 2007

R I P Bill Guffey

I opened my email today to this:

Hi Randy. I hope this is still a good e-mail address for you.
I met you at the KY 25th anniversary concert a few years back and introduced myself as a friend of Bill Guffey from Shooting Star.
In case you haven't heard, Bill has been in poor health for a year or so and he passed away this past Thursday afternoon. He had a liver transplant back in September and had been experiencing ongoing complications from it. I'm really sorry to be bearing such bad news, but I figured you would want to know.I don't know anything yet as to funeral arrangements or any other details.

I hope all is well with you. I miss hearing you on KC's airwaves.


How sad, Bill was a great guy. One of my favorite people. he pounded that hammond B3 in "You've Got What I Need", "Bring It On" and "Last Chance". One night in KC many years ago at Memorial Hall, I doused him with a glass of cold water during the encore of a Shooting Star show, hey I was drunk. He immediately stopped playing and pounded me live on stage then went back to playing. It was awesome. You were a good guy, Bill, Godspeed to you and your family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man

i'm best friends with bill guffey's son, and i hope to see you at the ceremony - even though we don't know the exact date, i'll be sure to try to get in touch with you to let you know details.

- rayna

Anonymous said...

This is so sad to hear! I was good friends with BG, loved getting together for drinks (and boy could he drink!) and bantering around. I enjoyed his humorous wit, and he was glad to have someone who understood obscure cultural references. I lost track of him a couple years ago, but he warned me even then that his health was not great. Now to hear this... it's truly a sad thing. He loved his son so much, thought the world of that young man. I pray for Billy and all his family. God has a place for musicians of his caliber!

Blog Archive

Web Tracking