Wednesday, September 20, 2006

33 Years Ago Today...


Jim Croce died along with his guitar player Maury Muehleisen. I know exactly where I was when I heard the news. I was working at the Owens gas station on 10th Ave in East Moline when the man came on the radio and told me he died in a plane crash. It was a day much like this one. Clear,a bit cool and crisp. Man, I really liked that guy. In every interview I ever saw, in every song I ever heard, I thought he was the real deal. Great lyrics, wonderful songs, great family man and a guy I really miss. His biggest song was released after his death "Time In A Bottle". I still think it's one of the greatest songs ever. And what would "Oldies Radio" be without "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" and "You Don't Mess Around With Jim"?
Here are some of my other favorites...
"And I Remember Her"
Which Way Are You Goin?
Tomorrow's Gonna Be A Better Day,
Photographs And Memories
Operator(this song used to tear me up, what an incredible piece of music)
It Doesn't Have to Be This Way
Alabama Rain
I'll Have To Say A Love You In A Song
I Got A Name(my favorite song of his)
The Hard Way Every Time
Workin At The Car Wash Blues
Godspeed, Jim Croce. Another guy I want to shake hands with if I ever get to heaven.
Born: January 10, 1943 - Philadelphia, PA
Died: September 20, 1973 - Natchitoches, LA
February 19, 1974 - Favorite Male Artist - Pop/Rock
American Music Awards (Posthumous)
May 30, 1990 - Inducted into Songwriters Hall Of Fame

The official Jim Croce website

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe it's been 33 years, my memory of the day is so clear. I was working at a rock radio station in Louisville, and I remember everybody in the station walking around looking stunned, some in tears. I think about that day every time I hear "Time In a Bottle."

Anonymous said...

WOW it has been that long, If I remember right both of us were pretty upset. I still listen to him, what a great artist..
Love ya!
Your Little Sis

Blog Archive

Web Tracking