Sunday, July 02, 2006

In Praise of...John Denver


When my brother left the states for his second tour of Vietnam, it was the first time I ever saw my father cry. The song on the radio was "Leavin On A Jet Plane." It was done by Peter, Paul and Mary and everytime it came on the radio, I had to turn it off. I still have trouble listening to it. I wanted to know who wrote it, since it released such an emotional response. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr. OK, then. Fast forward about three years to the summer of 1971. On the AM radio came a piece of pop that made me feel good. "Take Me Home Country Roads" hit really hard for a pimple faced 15 year old living in the city homesick for the country life that I had moved from. It was at that time I found out he also wrote "Jet Plane". I was now a fan of John Denver. The fact that there was a certain resemblance between us made him only cooler. The hits came fast and furious and I really loved where he was coming from, writing about the outdoors, the mountains, and environment. He became a big star and I really enjoyed it when he filled in for Johnny Carson. (At the time, he held the record for guest hosting duties.) I loved "Oh God!" and "Far Out" became a part of my lexicon. He became one of the first rock stars who took up environmental concerns and apparently, though it seemed like he was a decent guy, he struggled mightily with his demons and dark side. Alcohol was his friend and it cost him his wife and some say his life. Thanks, John for all of your goodness and kindness and your songs, they are still played in the Raley household to this day and will be forever.
My Top Ten John Denver playlist:

1. Poems, Prayers and Promises
2. Rocky Mountain High
3. This Old Guitar
4. Leavin On A Jet Plane
5. Goodbye Again
6. Annie's Song
7. Take Me Home Country Roads
8. Back Home Again
9. Some Days Are Like Diamonds
10. Follow Me

here's the Wikipedia entry for John Denver

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking