Thursday, December 08, 2005

How fast time really does fly


Can it really be twenty five years? Where were you when you heard the news? I had just gotten off the air doing my 6-10pm shift on KY102 in Kansas City. My girlfriend at the time had cooked me dinner and I had just put my dog (Feedback) out to do his thing. When I returned to the house, Bree was crying hysterically and I couldn't figure out why. Just at that time Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football said "John Lennon...assassinated...DOA" What? No way. It was true. I quickly turned on the radio and heard my good friend(and fellow Beatle fan) Jon Hart play "I'm So Tired". I knew then the station was in great hands. We played Beatle music on KY for what seemed like years but was only a week.
I preached at a service for John at the All Souls Unitarian Church two days later. It was packed and I had NO notes. I winged it and everyone thought it was great. Now, comes today and I heard someone on the radio say that they didn't understand the big deal about John. I won't try to explain either. He had the guts to take a stand that might not have been popular, but was never untrue to his convictions
"All we are saying..is give peace a chance".
"So, this is Christmas, and what have you done?"
"Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans."
God bless and God speed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy,
I remember listening to Ky102 that
week. If I remember correctly, weren't you guys doing Zeppelin
A-Z when Lennon was killed and KY
Put that on hold to play the Beatles that week?

RR said...

You are absolutely correct. John Bonham offed himself by doing 48 shots of whatever and we put all the Led Zeppelin A-Z on hold. What an excellent memory and for that you win...nothing. Nice job, though!!

Blog Archive

Web Tracking