Sunday, October 30, 2005

Post Number 100


I sit here tonight on a Sunday and King Crimson is playing on the BOSE WaveRadio system. I first heard this on "Beaker Street". It was a late night album rock show on KAAY in Little Rock, AR. KAAY broadcast at 1090AM. The mighty 1090 was their slogan and during the day and most of the night, it was a top 40 station, and at 10pm, it would become the best damn station on the planet.The signal was so strong that even when I moved to the Quad Cities, I could pick it up. The show featured stuff that no one else(that I knew of) played. "40 Foot Hose" by Cauldron was another fave. Oh yeah, Wet Willie, too. Thank you, Clyde Clifford, host.
King Crimson at that time was made up of:
ROBERT FRIPP: GUITAR
IAN McDONALD: REEDS, WOODWIND, VIBES, KEYBOARDS, MELLOTRON, VOCALS
GREG LAKE: BASS GUITAR, LEAD VOCALS
MICHAEL GILES: DRUMS, PERCUSSION, VOCALS
PETER SINFIELD: WORDS AND ILLUMINATION
Greg Lake, of course went on to form Emerson, Lake and Palmer (another one of my favorite bands). The last I heard about Ian McDonald, he was booted out of Foreigner, Robert Fripp is still recording and touring with King Crimson. Here is the latest on Micheal Gilesand Peter Sinfield. What a release this was. A masterpiece and as a 13 year old kid in 1969, it scared the hell out of me. Especially "21st Century Schizoid Man","Epitath" and the title track. "I Talk To The Wind" is still a great song. This recording changed the way I looked at and listened to music. 1970's "Lizard" became another one of my favorites (and my first introduction to Ravel's "Bolero").

2 comments:

Dave Morris said...

Ah, Beaker Street. In high school, KAAY was the station of choice at night. Good times.

Dave Morris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking