Monday, December 28, 2020

Growin Up

A lot of people I know are sharing this story about Bruce and how he's growing older. It is an excellent read. Written by David Brooks.

I think this guy is on to something.
As I sit here after signing up for Medicare over the weekend, I sometimes wonder how did this happen so fast?
I was warned by my mother many years ago how quick it goes.
One minute, I'm 18, wide eyed and awestruck, slowly getting into an occupation I had dreamed about doing, and now, I look around and find all my bosses and co-workers are ten, fifteen even thirty years younger than me.
At 18, I thought it was time for the old guys to go. Guess what?
Getting knocked to the mat several times in your life and then getting up again is the biggest teacher in life. It builds the character needed to survive while others fall.
I can tell you Bruce is right.
Life is too short for the bullshit. Life has taught me what's worth fighting for an what isn't. What I can change and cannot. I wish I would have known that 40 years ago. But, that's what life is. A series of events played out in real time that ultimately determines who you are and can be.
I appreciate courage. Anonymous courage. I have always thought the more scars you have on your heart, the better human being you can be. I admire empathy. Those who know the struggle know those who struggle. Recognize we are all struggling with demons, in whatever form they take.
I've learned kindness.
My favorite quote from the article is from Cicero..."“It’s not by strength or speed or swiftness of body that great deeds are done,” he wrote, “but by wisdom, character and sober judgment. These qualities are not lacking in old age but in fact grow as time passes.”

Good Lord, I've hurt people. I never meant to but sometimes we get so far off track, we can't see the track anymore. I wish I could personally tell those people what and why but maybe it's better if I don't.
The hippies were right. Love is a friendship set to music.
All You Need Is Love...Love Is The Answer.




No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking