Thursday, March 10, 2011

Shake It*

a song by Ian Thomas. See, I knew I could name each blog post after a song title. I have so much to choose from.
**************************************************************************************************
Lent is upon us and I have once again decided to give up meat for 40 days. That includes chicken, too. According to the Catholic church, on Sunday, you may partake in whatever you sacrificed. Lots of fish and Boca burgers for me. Bocas aren't bad, but you have to load them up with lettuce, tomato, onion, chesse and anything else you can find in order to mask the taste. Tonight, tuna salad ala Rocko, with some jalpenos thrown in for good measure.
**************************************************************************************************
March madness baby, but sometimes it drives me crazy. You mean Missouri State with 23 wins and a 15-3 conference record isn't getting in? But some Big East team with 12 or 13 losses will somehow find a way in. I hope that there are not selecting teams based on TV markets, but I swear it seems to be like that. So, I'm rooting for Mizzou, I lived in Nashville and know Kevin Stallings, so Vanderbilt, the boy went to Notre Dame, Butler (because they almost beat Duke) and maybe a couple more. I think the only one that has a chance is ND. Highs and lows and upsets is why I lovethis time of year. Who will be this year's Northern Iowa and pull off the big upsets?
*************************************************************************************************
I stopped by the local Dairy Queen in Farmington and enjoyed a cherry shake on Tuesday. It sent me straight back to when I was a boy in Ava. On Saturdays, I would take my allowance and ride my bike into town, play pool and pinball, have a hamburger at Norman's Rexall drug store, grab the latest comic books and get myself a cherry shake at the DQ. A summertime treat in the end of winter.
*************************************************************************************************
I agree that the unions have too much power. I saw this coming when I worked at John Deere in Moline. Even in the 70s, it was push push push until Deere pulled most oftheir workforce out of there after warning the unions over and over. Do we really have to balance the budget on the backs of the school teachers, police and firefighters? How about closing some corporate loopholes and making it more fair for everyone. I am very scared about the future of this great nation. I think I'm going to buy a pice of land in the middle of nowhere, build a house on some water, and watch the revolution go by. I'll set it up with internet and satellite and retire from society.
*************************************************************************************************
Road trip next week takes me to KC and Ankeny Iowa, where Casey's General Stores is located. I miss KC and always will. There is something about that place. As expenses are being cut, I'm staying with a friend. I love Iowa, too, so I'm looking forward to it. The week after, it's a trip to Springfield to Bass Pro Shops and then back through Ava because I hear my old place is for sale.
*************************************************************************************************
If you see spring, please send it my way. Thanks.
*************************************************************************************************
Happy Birthday to my "Facebook" friend Beverly Bremers. This was her only big hit. I remember listening this in m bedroom thinking that love would really suck if it made you feel like this. Sometimes it does.

2 comments:

Anthony Valentine said...

Very nice song!

Bubbski said...

I remember hearing the Beverly Bremer song on WHB, and later spinning the 45 myself on the really sad crappy 1 kw AC station that gave me my start in professional radio, at the astronomical rate of $2.35 an hour (9 hour Sunday shift, complete with live and taped religion).

Here's a little something new I discovered that sounds like it comes right from that same era...and the hook is superglue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSAV2LnT1ro

I can only hope that someday someone at the record company has the sense to release it in the US.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking