Sunday, March 09, 2008

The New Frontier

We are conducting an experiment at KMOX that should be interesting. While the hockey game is on the AM and the stream, you can go to KMOX.com, click on the icon and the second stream will broadcast Route 66 from 8-12 midnight on Saturday through the speakers on your computer. Last night was the first show without commercials or a national newscast. We are not quite sure what the rules are but the legendary Bob Hamilton came in once an hour with headlines and offered me a chance to sit and chat with Bob about his work and some of the bigger stories he has worked on in his career. I dedicated one hour to the year 1963 with music, commercials, tv themes and news actualities. We did a Motown set, a girl group set, a doo wop set and a "crooner" set. The playlist was bit deeper and after adjusting to a new studio, I thought the show was quite good. This is where the medium is heading, full service product on a variety of streams and channels. It will be interesting to see how many were listening and where they were from. I got a call from Antwerp Belgium from some transplanted St. Louisan who couldn't sleep and a couple of nice emails. This could be the next big thing and I might be John Glenn.



CBS has just teamed up with AOL, this might be the start of something cool.

While looking for 'doo wop songs', I came across this chestnut and it brought me back to a stack of 78rpm records we used to have. One was "You Belong To Me" by Jo Stafford. My mom used to play that big, thick record all of the time. Since 1952 is a little before our range, I did some more looking and found this version, which was one of my brothers favorite songs and vicariously, mine too. We played this version last night:



It is amazing to me how good my parents music was and how I dismissed it out of hand years ago. This was the real deal, these people could just flat out sing and now, I can't get this song out of my head.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking