Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Musical Guilty Pleasure

Yes, they were a Cream "rip-off" but the summer of my 14th year, I heard "Mississippi Queen" on the radio. Two minutes and twenty three seconds of crunching nasty bliss. I then went right out and bought "Climbing" from Mountain. What an appropriate name for this band. A Mountain of sound with two of the most underrated rock musicians ever. Leslie West and Corky Laing along with Felix Pappalardi. I remember on the back of the album it said "Made To Be Played Loud" and I did. I had the chance to see Leslie when "The Leslie West Band" opened for Thin Lizzy at the RKO Orpheum Theatre in Davenport circa 1975 or so. Playing rhythm guitar was Mick Jones (previously the guitar player in Spooky Tooth who also featured Gary Wright on vocals and keyboards..my admiration for Spooky Tooth will be documented at the future time). Mick left Leslie's band and put together Foreigner. Leslie also formed West, Bruce and Laing with former Cream bassist Jack Bruce (another loud mafuggin band that I really enjoyed). Corky Laing drummed his ass off and Felix (who was later shot to death by his girlfriend) really laid down some awesome backbeats. Not only could they rock with the best but "Nantucket Sleighride" is one of the most melodic rock songs ever and a real classic in my house. Hats off to "The Fat Man" who in the nineties shed a ton of weight. Thanks for helping shape my musical influences.

My top five Mountain songs:

1. "Nantucket Sleighride"-this is a perfect song especially with the opening "Taunta's Tune"

2. "Mississippi Queen"-the soundtrack to that 14th summer

3."Never In My Life"-wham bam blam thank you ma'am (We need more cowbell)

4."For Yasgur's Farm"-their reflections on their Woodstock performance

5."Theme From An Imaginary Western"-just one of my faves from the farm

1 comment:

Peter Nielsen said...

Hi there
Never heard of this gig before with Thin Lizzy and Leslie West.
Must have been back in 1975 when Lizzy toured US for the first time
See my timeline
http://www.thinlizzyguide.com/tours/year/1975.htm

Was it Corky on drums? Corky left the band in late 1975

Best wishes from Peter
info@thinlizzyguide.com

Blog Archive

Web Tracking