Saturday, March 10, 2007

R I P Brad Delp



Brad Delp, whose strong vocals helped Boston to a string of 1970s and '80s hits, was found dead at his home in Atkinson, New Hampshire this afternoon (Friday). Local police said that Delp, 55, was apparently alone at the time of his death, but no indication of foul play was found. A police statement indicated that they were called to his house to respond to "an untimely death." Local police and the state Medical Examiner are investigating.
Among the hits on which the Boston native's keening tenor can be heard are "More Than a Feeling" "Long Time," "Peace of Mind" and "Amanda."
Delp had recently gotten engaged to longtime girlfriend Pamela Sullivan. They were planning to marry this summer. A Boston tour with R-E-O Speedwagon was also scheduled for the summer months.
The Boston website now says, "We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

What a voice. WOW! I've heard the songs a hundred thousand times but yet, for some reason, I never got tired of playing their music. The selling point of that band was that incredible production and that incredible sweet voice, I can't imagine that band being that successful without that voice. The high notes he hits in "Rock and Roll Band" are out of this world and I guess he now is, too. To this day "Hitch A Ride" is one of my all time favorite songs. How tragic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There were no plans for Boston to tour with REO Speedwagon.

RR said...

Just pasted from AP. Seemed kinda weird to me, too.

Anonymous said...

I will miss Brad Delp and Boston. That was one of the first rock bands that I started listening to. I STILL remember you playing 3rd Stage on KSHE when it came out...you were playing track after track...and I couldn't get enough. As soon as I left work, I stopped at Streetside Records and bought the Album and cassette...another one of my musical heroes gone.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Boston and REO were planning on a tour together this summer. Check both websites, tickets had even been announced at some sites in the south eastern part of the country. Boston and REO toured together back in '76, with Boston opening.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking