Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pee Wee Herman/Paul Ruebens



In 1983,Pee Wee Herman was pretty much a stand up comic. He had garnered a bit of recognition and I definately knew who he has through his role as the obnoxious bell hop selling hamburgers I think in a Cheech and Chong movie called 'Nice Dreams'. It was about this time that he came through Kansas City and appeared at the Uptown Theatre. At the time, the ultimate place to play in KC. We were scheduled to do an interview in the studio at about 5;30. At 5;15 this guy shows up....

...and I asked him if I could help him thinking that he had offed the receptionist and everyone else in the building and he was looking for me about something I said. 'I'm Paul Reubens, you may know me as Pee Wee'. Unbelievable, here was a guy who didn't even resemble him, smoking a cigarette and speaking in a voice so quiet that you could barely hear him.
Once we opened the mike, he was off and running as Pee Wee. I just sat there amazed at his transformation into the character all the while looking like a guy who hadn't eaten in days. He was a very nice cat and gave me very nice seats to the Uptown.
His act consisted of him going into the crowd a lot and he came over and fucked with me a couple of times. He kept calling me RadioRandy and kept winking at me. I think he had an enjoyable interview, if I remeber right, he hung around for awhile.

Someone's Top Ten Pee Wee Herman moments....some real good stuff here.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking