Friday, November 03, 2006

Perspective


I took my car into the shop to get the oil changed and a lightbulb fixed earlier today. I also went today because I found out two days ago that my mechanic, who has never over charged me and has always dropped whatever he was doing to rescue me, lost his wife due to breast cancer last week. Greg is a big burly guy who can hit a softball out of just about any park I have ever seen. A great guy to have on your side. When I got there, he had Al (another great mechanic) work on my car and invited me back to the office. I think he just wanted to talk to someone. He had basically kept it a secret from everyone other than a few close friends. He told me about his three kids, two boys 19 and 15 and his 12 year old daughter. About how they had prepared for this day for a long time. About how even though they had prepared for this, they really hadn't. They had just returned from their annual trip to Florida and when they got back to St. Louis, "she got really tired and just gave up". My heart broke for him, his family and especially the 12 year old girl. No matter what I have been through this summer, whatever indignities I have suffered NOTHING and I mean nothing compares to what my friend Greg is going through. He told me that as he was going through their pictures to display at the visitation, he was amazed at how young they were. "Where has the time gone?" he said. I relayed a conversation I had with my mom when she was alive and beautiful and I was eighteen and full of piss and vinegar. She told me "you will not believe how fast it goes, in the blink of eye, your life moves around you." Greg agreed. I know now what she was trying to say. This is the second time this year a good friend of mine has lost a wife to cancer. Enjoy the simple pleasures and the people around you. Hug your family. Tell them you love them.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking