Saturday, June 17, 2006

In Praise of...Colin Montgomerie


I was watching golf yesterday and I heard one of the announcers say something about how Colin Montgomerie was one of the least liked guys on the circuit, seems he's an arrogant Brit (ooh, and aren't those the worst kind).
On September 13, 2001 in the aftermath of 9/11, Colin was in town for a pro event at the Bellreive in St. Louis. They cancelled the event and that day, I did an all day telethon at the Galleria to raise money for Backstoppers, an organization that donates money to widows and families of fallen officers, paramedics and firefighters.
I saw him walk in the door and knew his reputation. He approached the table where we were and asked what was going on, I told him and he immediately whipped out his checkbook and wrote a check for $5,000. I know he makes that in a day, but I thought he was generous and I told him so. He said "I love America".

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking