Thursday, May 04, 2006

My Friend Katey...

...has been in radio since 1980. We worked together in KC for a long time. I have seen her at her best and at her worst. I believe that is what friends are for. She was unceremoniously dumped by the new owners of her station. When I was working for Learfield, I talked with someone in Cumulus about their takeover of Susquehanna. His quote to me was "Half of those people are gone...we don't operate radio like they do." Too bad. Katey was one of those people. She had never been fired from the business (unfrickinbelievable)until this week. As much as I know her boss, it must have broken his heart, too. A lot of my old friends in KC will lose thier jobs over this takeover. I wish them all well, especially Katey, who I feel was someone that I taught and helped mold into a broadcaster. This is a shitty business and now she will get the preverbial question...can't you do something else? Can an auto mechanic suddenly become a lawyer? You are what you are and will always be what you are. I am a great radio guy. Katey was an awesome radio person. I hope she will be OK.

1 comment:

Just Some Guy on the Radio said...

y'know, Randy, it seems like there's a group of us that's one Powerball away from the most incredibly perfect radio station every known to man!

Good luck to your friend -- AND to you. It's hard translating radio skills to anything else, ain't it??

Blog Archive

Web Tracking