Wednesday, April 19, 2006

One Good Thing...


about some down time is that I can get healthy again. I played basketball four times last week. Now, we are talking at least 75 minutes of pretty much non stop, full court ball. Granted, I am not ever going to be confused with Jerry West, but in my day, I could play. I find it sometimes funny that when we get some younger guys on the court, they are pulling on their shorts just about he time I am getting warmed up. It does take a long time for me as I get older to get it cranked up quickly. I was in excellent shape and about 170 lbs ten years ago. After a bout or two with illness (and their cures) since then, my weight has ballooned to 210 and I have not been in good shape. I think I am well on the way to getting there again. I currently am at 184 and I am starting to feel good on the court. No drinking and no meat helps, but even then, it has been MUCH more difficult losing weight at 50 than it was at 35. Off to the court I go and if I see one of those kids, I always taunt them. A taunt like .."man, I got kids older than you" really seems to do the trick. Whenever I think one is getting tired I will say..."man, that's gotta suck to be worn down by an old man, what are you gonna tell your friends?" When I start talking about being schooled by a grandfather, that's when you know I'm serious.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking