Monday, February 13, 2006

The Olympics Random Thoughts...


I love watching the Olympics, summer or winter doesn't matter to me. I have always been that way. I actually remember the 1964 Olympics in Sapporo Japan. I remember because I am weird like that. Anyway..I swear to God I thought one of the announcers was talking about the "hash-pipe" last night. Yes, I know it was "half-pipe", but my mind wondered back a few years and for a second, I was standing at the podium, listening to the National Anthem, only it was the Hendrix version. But I digress...Michelle Kwan, evil or good? It seemed like to me she was damn upset but others I have talked to said she is going along with NBC's evil plot to spike the ratings with the drama. Hasn't worked yet. The American male ski jumper was 5'10" and 135 lbs. Really? I haven't been that thin since chemo. Bode, have another beer. Too much hype but I think NBC is doing at least a decent job of coverage. Ann Curry rocks my world and Katie's just too damn perky. We certainly won't win as many medals as we thought, but give me a shot of courage and watch me luge my ass off.
"lookee here..."

In 1996, I was lucky enough to go to the Summer Games in Atlanta through KSHE.

The best part about the whole trip was seeing Bob Dylan at midnight at the House of Blues. Incredible. He was lucid, coherent and really into it, My friend Joe Vonderhaar of A/B set that up. Awesome!


The second best part was watching the finals of team handball. I had no idea what this was about but I had tickets to the finals, and damn it, that meant something. The mighty Swedes (according to the guy next to me, the "Micheal Jordan's" of team handball)against the hapless Croats who were there by luck. Remember, at this time, Croatia was a mess. The Croats won on a last second goal. I never witnessed more big, brutish men openly weeping in my life. Hell, I cried when the medal ceremonies were held. Huge men absolutely gave it all for their country..or whatever it was at the time and buckled over with emotion in front of God and everyone.


The third best thing was sharing a hotel room with Katy Kruze, and ordering pitchers of Margaritas via room service...one of the all time sweethearts in the biz.


One of the weirdest deals was getting up at 4:30 to catch the bus to get to the stadium to watch the race walking start. They went around the stadium once and we didn't see them again for 3 hours. I fell asleep in the mist of Turner field at about 6:30 one morning.


During halftime of the Greece-Italy Basketball game, I noticed that the entire Greece team had fired up smokes during the coach's talk. All of them...then they kicked the shit out of Italy.

It was great trip, and yes, I do watch the Olympics.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking