Sunday, January 15, 2006

My favorite drummers


I did get paid for drumming a number of years ago. Does that make me an expert on drumming? Far from it, but since I DID get paid, does that mean I was a professional drummer? Maybe. Here are the guys who have made an influence...

Billy Cobham. I first heard Tommy Bolin through Billy. I was at a head shop in Moline in 1973 while "Birds of Fire" by the Mahavishnu Orchestra was playing on the stereo. I loved hangin at headshops on a Saturday afternoon because, checks were cashed and you could always find some cool incense, posters or tshirt to get. I then found previous Mahavishnu releases and then,later in 1973, he released "Spectrum" featuring an unknown guitartist named Tommy Bolin. Billy rules.

Keith Moon. He was once quoted in an interview to be able to keep four different times with each limb. Damn, four different ones? Wow. Reckless abandon is how I would describe his style. "Who's Next" was his masterpiece.

Harvey Mason. He may be the best drummer on the planet. Listen to "Captain Fingers" by Lee Ritenour and then you tell me how he does it. He has drummed for everybody and his chops are unbelievable.

Richie Hayward. I didn't get to see Little Feat until the late 80s. I was SO looking forward to see how Richie did that live as opposed to the studio. There was no way he could pull it off. He did. I saw some old "Don Kirschner's Rock Concert" not too long ago and Ikeand Tina Turner performed. Richie was their drummer, too. Cool.

Charlie Watts. He's not paid to be flashy, he's paid to keep the beat. No one keeps the beat better. Slow and steady wins the race.

Neil Peart. Very few guys turn the drums into a lead instrument. He does. The quintessential "How'd he do that?" Guy. Fastest hands ever.

Uriel Jones. The best Motown drummer. The Funk Brother who drummed to "Aint Too Proud To Beg","Cloud 9" and the other great Motown hits.


Honorable mention..Hal Blaine...Simon Kirke...Ringo Starr...Bill Bruford.
These are all drummers of the "Rock era". I would by no means leave out guys like Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Sandy Nelson etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Earl Palmer must be at the top of any list of drummers. There is no drummer in the history of American music who was more active, influental, or versatile. None. Just check out his discography if you don't believe me. Hal Blaine is the only other drummer who should be mentioned in the same breath as Earl Palmer.

DJ Fontana is hardly ever mentioned but deserves whatever mention he gets...and more.

The world will never again see the likes of John Bonham. Everything he did was unique and brilliant. He's one of those drummers that no one can come close to duplicating, no matter how technically great they are. Moon and Watts are both in that category. Ringo too for that matter.

Narada Michael Walden is the most incredible drummer I ever saw live and, believe me, I've seen 'em all. He is the only drummer I ever saw who could play faster that I could see or think. And yes, I saw Cobham live.

I would add Clive Bunker to your honorable list just because I thought his drumming on the Aqualung album was great.

Anonymous said...

...oh and how could I leave out one of my very favorite drummers of all time, Ansley Dunbar. Please forgive me Ansley. Your work with Zappa, Lou Reed, and Jefferson Starship will always be a joy to listen to. I'll even overlook the fact that you were a founding member of Journey. At least you had the good sense and taste to leave when Steve Perry was invited to join. After you left, they became one of my most despised bands of all time.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking